Re: off Subject #62

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Brian wrote RE McGWIRE:
>........All his HR pitches were down and inside or
>across the plate.  Scouting reports surely know this is his power zone so
>why do they continue to pitch him there?

Could be the sports question of the millennium, IMHO.
Considering the guy's swing and how he consistently pulls
the ball, why would anyone throw him a 90MPH fastball low
and in?

Not to take anything away from his accomplishment, I noticed
that he fanned on a couple of balls thrown just below waste
high on the outside corner later in the game. No clue as to
why catchers don't set up outside hoping he'll get a little
too anxious. Even if he's patient, walking the guy on four
pitches just off the plate isn't the worst thing that can
happen.....obviously.

Best regards,
Jim