RE: "Corel backs Linux"

At 11:25 AM 9/8/98 -0500, Adrian Muir wrote:
>As a long time Linux user I can see merit in some of your points regarding
>improved hardware vs. bloat in terms of acceptable use.  But not in terms of
>reliability and performance.  For the single personal computer, i.e.
>non-networked, M$Windows will probably suffice.  In a LAN, NT just can't
>compare to Unix, even Linux in particular.  Corel porting over and
>supporting applications on Linux platforms is just one small indication of a
>trend that is beginning to grow industry-wide to reduce MS marketshare and
>support a better alternative.
>	Even if you don't care to migrate entirely to Unix, putting StarOffice on
>Linux workstations, you could keep your WIN95 workstations and use a Linux
>box for Fileserving, WWWserving, SQLserving, as a gateway, a firewall, a
>print server, or a communication server.  Plainly, it does everything NT can
>do and more.  And for a fraction of the cost.  Corel is just one company of
>many who are starting to see the possibilities.
<snip>

Adrian:

You've piqued my curiousity. I think the last time I checked, Linux
supported multiple processors -- something that NT does very intelligently.
Has this changed?

Allan

"God does not play dice." - Albert Einstein

"But all the evidence indicates that God is an inveterate gambler and that
He throws the dice on every possible occasion." - Stephen Hawking

"Consideration of particle emission from black holes would seem to suggest
that God not only plays dice but also sometimes throws them where they
cannot be seen." - Stephen Hawking