Re: Velocity, acceleration, tensors -- as it realtes trend trading...

  • To: <bnm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Velocity, acceleration, tensors -- as it realtes trend trading...
  • From: "Michael Stewart" <MPST@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 19:26:08 -0400 (EDT)

Brian,

I probably have less experience trading the S&P than most on the list and
I'm not a rocket scientist either- although I've worked with some, but I'll
defend countertrend trading.  IMHO you need to define countertrend trading
with regard to time frames on different markets - Some it works, some it
doesn't - If you wannabe flat and sleep at night and day trade the S&P and
aim to swing trade by identifying high probability (lower risk) turning
points in the market then the  last 7 weeks has been better than ever and
you don't need much fancy software to do it - I call "velocity" and
"acceleration" MOMENTUM - (rising and falling) and you can pick up when to
fade a rally on the first continuos downtick of the cash market and a cheap
indicator from Rina systems together with a couple of others which Omega
supply for free.

If your happy to hold on for a week or two or three - then the time  frame
moves up to 5/30/81/daily bars - thats too rich for me with an o/n range of
over 2500 points at times-

I understand that some clients of top ten S&P daytrading systems have been
miffed lately as either their systems haven't traded and when they have
they've got whipped out by the volatility - some market conditions are
better traded from what you see - Of course S&P isn't the only market - but
show me a daytrading trend system in the S&P which hasn't been stuffed
lately ?

>Traders,
>
>Interesting.  There's a lot of comparatively advanced math used creatively
>here to develop RJP's exact countertrend entry point system.  Good food for
>thought and a way to spend a lot of time but is it really necessary?
>
>So far the people that have spoke up in defense of countertrend trading
are:

>Stewart Taylor
>Mark Brown
>RJP
>
>What's the pattern here?
>
>Mark Brown has been trading for eons and with a stint trading
professionally
>at Smith -Barney (I'm assuming that's what SB stands for).  In addition to
>that he's a programmer.
>
>Stewart Taylor has AT LEAST 15+ years of experience trading nothing but
>futures and manages an investment firm -- I think it's his own. Big bucks
>and lots of experience here.
>
>From the sound of it RJP either has a real good grasp of some advanced math
>concepts and has used them creatively or has the money to pay someone who
>has this to come in and teach him about it as it applies to the markets.
>Again, lots of experience.
>
>So what's the pattern here?  All these guys have tons of experience and
have
>access to resources the average (successful) trader may or may not have.
>Experience is essential when developing systems that attempt to pick
>bottoms.
>
>Question: Is it the right for you?  Based on the above, only if you have:
>
>1. Have many years of experience
>2. And/or Have advanced math experience
>3. And/or Have the $$$ to buy in a decline, buy in a decline, buy in a
>decline (or sell)
>
>Well what do those do who don't have this?  The answer is trade with the
>trend.
>
>Again, it's a fact.  The probabilities favor buying dips in a trend or some
>other methods of trading witht the trend.  There's too many markets out
>there to trade with the trend and life's too short to try and develop a
>system that works countertrending when I can make equal money trading with
>the trend.
>
>The message to me is that it's easier to make BIG money trading with the
>trend.
>
>Are there any others out there who want to defend countertrend trading?
>
>Good Trading.
>Brian.

The