Re: NASDAQ -- using ecns to make markets

In a message dated 98-08-29 11:18:43 EDT, redeemed10@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> You can be high bid via ISLD in a stock trying to cover a short. The
>  stock can trade at your price, but you are not guaranteed a fill.
>  What the rules said when I traded this way is that the stock,if it
>  trades,has to trade at your price, but not necessarily to you.  MM's
>  can trade amongst themselves all around you and leave you with your
>  position.

Obviously. This can happen with any brokerage. No brokerage will guarantee you
a fill for a buy at the bid, even if trades go off at that price. To be
guaranteed an out, put in a buy at the offer.

>  This is less likely to happen in a deeper stock, but the trade off
>  with that is that there are more players fillingup the SOES queue and
>  more feeders at the ECN trough.
>
>  What fun is it to trade in a marketplace where you can be totally
>  ignored regardless of your price?  True, SOES was designed to
>  eliminate that, but people can be very inventive when it comes to
>  protecting their rackets. You can put SOES into the market but you
>  can't take the market-maker out of SOES.
>  FWIW

ECN's are almost always last to be filled, unless an internal cross occurs,
both because "real" market makers resent the general public playing their
game, and the added cost.