Re: Portfolio Trading and trade allocations

Hi Timothy,

i don't know whether these suggestions will help..i don't have Marks
abbility to say things succinctly but i'll try

1)it may help to soften the risk by looking at the maximum volatility
over the last 30 days and using this in your calculation to dampen the
no of units..this is different from a directly normalizing to gold

2)You will still find you need to place a buffering $ figure in there
to pvevent you taking a large no of say corn where the risk may blow
out after you have entered a trade..the buffering unit will not affect
the larger contacts like the dax,jgb,coffee,s&p etc but will affect
corn ,wheat etc

two additional ares which need addressing in the portfolio
a) are correlation of underlying assets or coincident trade
risk(sector value at risk) if you like

b)ongoing and periodic evaluation of the risk of the shape of your
equity curve..some form of mean reversion or whatever(don't use MA's)
e.g..it would have been a pity 4 years back to have sat in the British
Pound with your system and hope the profits from other commodities
would overcome the dismal performance given to "equal risk" in BP's

i have probably posed more questions than i answered but this may be
of use

regards

Sam