Re:Bear markets and experience

Stewart:

I'm not predicting a bear anything either--predictions are for those psychic
1-800 people, not traders. But when I think about a possible bear market in
stocks, the first thing that comes to mind is the lack of experience in these
markets with bear markets and this is further complicated with the record level
of involvement by the public in the stock market. Not only is there a lack of
experience with bear markets but there are now millions and millions of
individuals [I believe individuals trading individual stocks make up nearly 47
percent of the volume these days--correct me on this if you have a better
statistic]. How do you think your Aunt Veronica is gonna react when she gets her
statement and her account is down 47 percent of value and she can't get Charlie
Schwabb on the phone to dump her stocks? And where I live [the north shore of
Chicago, you can see people upgrading their lifestyle because they've got a wild
ride on the bull markets of the past 16 years...I wonder how much of that equity
bulge in their purses have been cashed out--or worse, leveraged up with equity
loans and the like?

And second--the public is now conditioned by the few correctic 'crashes' we have
had in 1987 and the early 1990s. They have learned, like Pavlov and his dog, to
call their brokers the minute the news comes on and the guy starts talking about
the panic on Wall street. You can tell they are all calling their broker--Try
calling your stock broker when the DOW os down 200...or better, go to a Charlie
Scwabb place when the market is rocking and rolling [this is a must, just like
visiting the trading floors]. You won't find people panicking and trying to
liquidate their stocks. Instead, you see a line of folks waiting to buy more on
the dips!! And the same on the phones--these people are all conditioned to buy
on the dips! Now, so far, they have been right and right with a vengeance. So
who am I to throw stones? My only question is when a true bear market appears,
how many times will they try to buy the dip or crash before they finally
understand the rally isn't coming this week, this month, this....whatever. And
THEN what happens?

I'm terribly sorry if I made some people turn white and check their current
stock portfolios. These are just thoughts I have when thinking about a possible
downturn in stocks.

Tim Morge