Re: REAL-ESTATE BUBBLE and maybe moe

Neal:

One thing that is interesting to ponder...and it makes me feel very old, bu the
way...We have not seen a prolonged bear market in the US stock market in the
1980's and 1990's, and so very few traders are even trading that have
experienced a prolonged stock market decline. I know as soon as they read this,
some people are going to post that we have had several 'crashes' and they count.
Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think so.

The other argument I've heard is that the economic cycles have changed because
of technological changes/improvements and so, the economy no longer 'needs' this
sort of cleansing cycle...again, maybe, maybe not. I don't think so.

I believe Dennis said a few days ago that a true systems guy wouldn't care if we
were in a downtrend, he'd merely take his signals and trade away. A question
that nags the back of my mind...if we haven't had an all out downtrend in the
stock indexes in 20 years or so, we don't have any tick data to build systems on
that trade well in these types of downtrends--and I agree with you, downtrends
trade very different from uptrends. I wonder just how well current systems will
cope with vicious, prolonged downtrends? And further, if they don't cope well,
how many systems developers will have the market experience/knowlege to develop
new systems that cope well with a spiralling downtrend in the stock markets?

Just my inquiring mind, doing its thing...

Tim Morge