RE: Trading as a way to financial success (a reply)

Steven,

You have to be right about this. As you have noted in earlier posts, the
markets have a fractal nature to them. One thing that means to me is that if
you cover the price and time scales and look at a chart, you would be hard
pressed to determine whether the chart was an 8 tick, 3 min, 30 min, Daily,
or Weekly chart. Indicators would look the same, Elliott waves would be
there, Gann information would be there, etc.

So, since these things are the same, your patterns to enter the market would
be the same. The thing that would be different, would be the price scale.
The greater the time frame, the greater the price scale, the greater the
average true range of each bar, and thus the greater the risk (and reward)
of each trading opportunity. So, as Kase also says in seminars, the smaller
the bucket of speculating capital you have, the shorter the time frame you
should trade. If your current job or lifestyle won't accommodate day
trading, then you need to build up your capital and choose your markets so
you can position trade. This isn't meant to imply that only those with small
amounts of capital day trade. Many very adequately capitalized and
successful traders day trade, because they like that time frame and/or it is
psychologically easier to trade risking less money, and/or other reasons.

This flow of logic begs a question from an earlier post of yours, where you
state that the markets are fractal, but also that systems perform sometimes
significantly differently in different time frames.

I don't disagree with your observations, but those seem to be conflicting
pieces of information. If the markets have a truly fractal nature, then
systems should perform similarly in different time frames (unless commission
and slippage become too significant in smaller time frames).

Does anyone have any thoughts on that apparent paradox?

Neil