Re: Modern Portfolio Theory

Dark Hacker wrote:

> I recently asked a fellow investor the following:
>
>         "Is there some quantitative (not rule of thumb) formula I can use that,
>         given a range of mutual funds with known properties (bonds, cash, growth,
>         value, etc) will allow me to calculate the optimal balance given these
>         properties and some expected behavior in the market (projected interest
>         rates, overall price move, etc)???
>
>         Note this is not an attempt to predict the market but rather optimize the
>         return given some market expectation and level of risk.  This
>         seems like a fairly straightforward problem and I'd be surprised
>         aif such methods weren't already in use at all the major
>         mutual fund houses."
>
> Now it turns out that what I'm refering to here seems to be Modern
> Portfolio Theory as espoused by Sharpe and Markowitz.  So can anyone
> recommend any good books on Modern Portfolio Theory that will help me
> balance my mix of funds and stocks?
>
> - Hacker

For a thorough lesson in Modern Portfolio Theory and the math behind it , visit a
college bookstore and ask for "Investments: Analysis and Management / Jack Clark
Francis.-- 5th ed., 1991 cm.-- (McGraw-Hill series in finance).  If you can find it
there, write to Schaum Division, McGraw-Hill , Inc., Princeton Rd, S-1, Hightstown,
NJ, 08520.

--
best,
Mike