SCSI vs IDE

I have built three machines for Win95 platforms earlier this year.  I used
a Hot Shuttle 569 Motherboard and a Diamond Fireport 40 UW SCSI Card with
an IBM UW SCSI HD.   I use the EIDE controller built into the motherboard
for CD players only since they are typically slow and benefit little from
SCSI with one notable exceptiion:  my CD recorder and my ZIP drive.

At the time,  I looked at a Pentium 2  as my preferred chip but the
additional cost did not justify it.  I chose a Pentium 233 MMX.   I came to
the realization that all of us rarely use the computing horsepower of the
current CPU chips.  Performance issues are based largely upon a slow
peripheral interface:  33 - 66 mhz  versus the speed of memory.  I put my
money in the area where it could try to fix the problem  -- in a higher
speed connection to the HD since every PROGRAM must access the HD.  (With
the TS server, this is particularly true since accessing the database
almost always requires you to access the HD. )   I went from a 11-12 ns
EIDE drive to a 8.5 ns SCSI HD.  In terms of access time, this is a 20%
performance boost that will be there with whatever  the CPU chip.  When Bus
speeds get to 100+ mhz  we will see the next performance boost similar from
going from a 486 to a Pentium.

I have three CD player connected to the EIDE controller and have never had
a problem.  The SCSI controller and HD were seamless to install  and only
one interrupt for all those SCSI devices!!

Once you go to SCSI, you wont go back.

Any Comments for Hardware Geeks ?

Chuck Kaucher