Re: Omega Server: I/O 100%, 0%

>I am sometimes getting I/O 100%, 0% and my computer does not even respond
>to the mouse.
>This occurs even if I close TradeStation Charting.   Nothing else is
>running on the
>Pentium 233 other than a UPS management program.   Microsoft System
>Monitor shows there is
>plenty of available memory.
[SNIP]
>I find the Omega Server typically taking 40% of the CPU, which isn't a
>problem, but the
>Omega Server is clearly overwhelming my Ultra-wide SCSI hard drive.  Any
>suggestions?

While it is hard to diagnose things remotely, I'll take a shot at it
anyway.  If your system locks up and is not responding to the mouse when
accessing the disk, it is most likly stuck in a driver somewhere waiting
for something (probably the disk) to respond and is ignoring everything
else.  This suggests two possiblites, an old or corrupted disk driver or
a disk and/or controller that is starting to fail.  I strongly suggest
that you backup everything on your hard disk before doing anything else.
Then I would suggest finding a technician who can run diagnostics on your
disk subsystem and see whether there are problems.  Another option is to
swap out your current disk and controller for a new one and see if the
problem goes away (your backup will help since you can load the new disk
from it).  If neither of these helps, then the old standby of reinstall
Windows and check that you have the latest rev of the driver for your
disk controller may fix it.

If neither of these fixes the problem, then it could be any number of
things, including bad motherboard, driver conflict with another driver,
etc.  But my first suspiscion would be the hard disk.

Hope this helps,

Jerry