Re: Why trade Futures?

I began day and position trading futures this spring after position trading NYSE
stocks in lots of 1000-3000 shares for a decade. I had made good money (10-20%
per position over 5-10 days) using a program I wrote which scanned 2000+ stocks
nightly for candidates which had been hammered to the bottom and were completing
a base. I typically reviewed 50-100 charts per day to evaluate the candidates. I
started looking for another market to trade because: 1) stocks as an asset class
had risen to lofty levels, 2) my screen was turning up fewer and fewer good
candidates, 3) I was routinely seeing stocks chopped in half in a day or two,
and 4) (and most important) I was afraid to trade the short side against
entrenched management's which can actively manage the flow of earnings to the
bottom line. I tried the SPY (Spyders) for a bit but couldn't get the returns I
expected without leverage.

I'm far from an old hand in the futures business but I do know how to trade and
I have established discipline to exit bad trades quickly and unconditionally. I
day trade the S&P and have position traded a variety of other commodities
including sugar, dmark, pound, ngas. I find futures offer more asset variety,
offer opportunities to trade both long and short, and permit me to balance
returns and leverage in whatever combination I find comfortable. I do detest the
futures industry attitude toward off-floor traders, automation, and information
flow - makes me appreciate the great online electronic trading I had at my
fingertips while trading on the NYSE via DiscoverDirect. Futures trading is a
bit different and it's taken me months to adapt my techniques and get
comfortable with futures trading, but trading is trading and futures is a better
and more interesting game than stocks. One man's experience, anyway.

Earl