Windows NT - using hardware profiles

Thought I'd pass this tip along for those using Windows NT because it is so
important for those running real-time systems to preserve system integrity while
installing new hardware components and/or drivers. Note that this does not apply
to installing software unless the software installs new drivers.

Case: I purchased/installed NovaBackup v5 to replace NT Backup but found that it
made the system unstable so I removed it. I was promised the forthcoming upgrade
and just got v6 the other day. NovaBackup requires that the standard ATAPI
QIC-157 driver for IDE tape drives be replaced with a proprietary NovaBackup
driver. I want to maintain my current configuration while testing the new
software.

1) Control Panel, System, Hardware Profiles, select "Original Configuration"
(this is marked "(Current)" because it is the profile into which you have
booted, press "Copy", enter name for new profile "NovaBackup", press "Ok". Click
on radio button "Wait for user selection for __ seconds" and enter a number e.g.
5 seconds.

I now have two profiles, first in list is "Original Configuration" (the default
because it is first) and "NovaBackup", an alternate configuration which is a
duplicate of Original Configuration. During the next bootup process I will be
presented with the list of two Hardware Profiles and asked to select one. If I
do not select one within 5 seconds, "Original Configuration" will be used.

2) Reboot the system and select the "NovaBackup" profile so to install the new
driver. This is the critical part - do not want to install the new stuff into
your existing Current Profile!!!

3) Install the NovaBackup software by removing the QIC-157 driver and then
running the NovaBackup install which installs the proprietary driver.

4) Create a new Emergency Recovery Disk - always do this after installing any
hardware or any software which affects the registry.

I can now boot into either the "Original Configuration" or the "NovaBackup"
Hardware Profile and each will use the required drivers:

a) If the NovaBackup proves out, I will simply go into CP, System, Hardware
Profiles, and move the NovaBackup profile to the top of the list so it becomes
the default the next time I reboot, reboot using "NovaBackup", return to
Hardware Profiles, and delete "Original Configuration". If I want to change
"NovaBackup" to another name: make a copy, give it a new name "Base
Configuration", move it to the top of the list, reboot, then delete
"NovaBackup". Note: the Hardware Profile which is booted is referred to as the
"Current Profile" and the Current Profile can not be deleted.

b) If the NovaBackup does not prove out, I will boot into the "NovaBackup"
profile, uninstall the software, reboot into "Original Configuration" profile,
go into CP, System, Hardware Profiles, and delete the "NovaBackup" profile.

There are lots of reasons to run Windows NT and Hardware Profiles has been one
of them since NT was first released, however Hardware Profiles are generally
unknown outside of the corporate and developer communities. This technique has
wide application and I've used it for all kinds of system changes including
switching from serial to PS/2 mouse, reconfiguring com ports to accommodate
real-time feed, changing modems, etc. It can also be used to maintain
configurations for multiple machines e.g. desktop and laptop.

If something is unclear, I will try to clarify to the list - please do not email
questions to me personally. For more detailed information please RTFM: Startup,
Help, Index "Hardware Profiles". Another way to quickly locate info on NT4
specific questions/problems is to use DejaNews to search
Microsoft.public.windowsnt on the topic of interest e.g. Hardware Profiles and
pay particular attention to "Re:" responses which contain "MVP" following the
writer's name.

Earl