Re: Omega Research - Response to the Year 2000 Issue

Melody Blais wrote:

> Dear Omega Research Customers;
>
> All of us at Omega Research realize that the Year 2000 compliance issue
> is a cause of concern for many of our customers.  We also realize that
> the release of our 5.0 products is of concern to many customers as well.
> As a company, Omega Research is committed to our customers.  It is our
> intention to be responsive to our customers which we believe will be
> evident in the upcoming release of our 5.0 programs and in the provision
> of making our current shipping versions of TradeStation, OptionStation
> and SuperCharts year 2000 compliant.
>
> We understand the main issue of not having the current shipping versions
> of TradeStation, OptionStation and SuperCharts  year 2000 compliant at
> this time for real time and delayed data users is that all contracts
> which have an expiration date after the year 1999 expire after running
> the Morning Update.  This of course applies to our customers who trade
> Futures and Options.  However, this is not the case for those customers
> who trade Stocks, Indexes or Mutual Funds as those symbols do not
> expire.
>
> The way to avoid this problem is to disable the Morning Update.
> Attached at the bottom of this email you will find instructions
> regarding disabling the Morning Update and why you do not need to be
> concerned if you disable the Morning Update.  Again, disabling the
> Morning Update is only necessary for those customers who are trading
> Future and Option contracts which expire after the year 1999.  Those
> customers who are trading Stocks, Indexes or Mutual Funds should
> continue to run the Morning Update as usual.
>
> As a company we want to make the best decisions possible.  Prioritizing
> our customer's concerns is key in making the best decisions.  Timing the
> release of our new version of programs and providing year 2000
> functionality to our current shipping versions of TradeStation,
> OptionStation and SuperCharts is one of those key decisions we had to
> make.  Based upon the workaround which prevents Future and Option
> contracts from expiring, and the fact that our current shipping versions
> will remain operational for the next 17 months and the fact that our new
> versions are nearing release, we have made the decision to release the
> 5.0 programs first and then provide year 2000 functionality to our
> current shipping versions of TradeStation, OptionStation and
> SuperCharts.
>
> Be assured that we at Omega Research will provide a free Version 4.0
> update posted on our web site that will make the current shipping
> versions of TradeStation, OptionStation(versions 1.2)  and SuperCharts
> year 2000 compatible.  Once the fully released versions of our 5.0
> programs are shipping, we will provide a timeline for the Year 2000
> Update.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dennis Boyle
> Omega Research, Inc.
> [...]
Dear Mr Boyle,
You should realize most of the customers you expect to purchase the
"new" products are current users of the present software offered.
It appears you may be in for a surprise. Ever hear of a Bird in the
Hand is worth Two in The Bush?  I do not think you will have very
many new purchasers because of the way you have failed to take care of
your current customers. (Provide y2k fix). Many are not interested in
Afro-American rigging the software they currently depend on.
                                   Randy Barlow