From: Gerrit Jacobsen <Gerrit.Jacobsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; Bob Fulks
<bfulks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, July 17, 1998 3:36 AM
Subject: Re: Is TS 5 next generation or not?

The date field in the internal Omega 4.0 data structures is WORD
which covers 65535 days = 179 years.

Unless Omega expands this field length someone will be out of luck.
Either the 18th century grain price followers or the people who are
trading forward months on nuclear waste certificates.

A radical step would be to increase the length of the field which
should not be tooooooo difficult. But this would propably
involve some changes everywhere in the code.

The cheap solution would be to change the meaning of the date field
and make TS compatible in between 1900 and 2079 until the last TS 4.0
user has died. (Although I am pretty sure that some Mark Brown
reincarnations will survive)

Gerrit Jacobsen

7 PM -0400 7/16/98, Timothy Morge wrote:

> >Your possible explanation about early releases of TS ver 5.0 not
> >being year 2000 compliant makes some sense, I guess...in a
> >haphazard design sense [which I could now imagine Omega using].
> >However, if it isn't that difficult for them to 'compartmentalize'
> >their design and research products, it should be pretty darn easy
> >to take about 75 percent of their code staff and put them on
> >finishing a year 2000 patch right now. I mean, they no longer have
> >to worry about releasing version 5 on time...it was initially
> >planned to be released last quarter at the latest.

Gerrit Jacobsen
http://www.tickscape.com