Re: Bad initial ticks

Ron Augustine wrote:

> Please tell me if I'm missing something here, but I was able to edit and
> correct the bad MRK tick without problems.  This is the second time this
> issue has come up when I was able to correct the tick in the normal way, but
> others claim to not be able to fix it without some tedious procedure.
>
> This is what I did:  Bring up a 1 minute chart, displaying MRK for today
> only.  Right-click to the right of the first bar on the chart and select
> "Edit Price Data" -- navigate to the bad tick, select it, and press the
> "Delete" button and save the changes.
>
> I always fix bad ticks this way and never have had a problem with it.
> Please let me know if this fix doesn't work.  I'm running ver. 4.0, build 21.

I am now running build 21, but I was not early in the year.

Someone else will have to answer concerning whether deleting the
bad initial tick corrects all the other ticks.  I corrected the bad
initial tick to the opening price, rather than deleting it.  In
that case, only the next 60 (approximately) ticks correct themselves
auto-magically.  And the correction procedure must be repeated on
each group of ticks.  I "fixed" the bad ticks by 9:45 (eastern) or
so.  Thus, I did not have a large number of ticks to correct to get
TS to start storing and displaying MRK correctly - only 4-5-6 as I
recall.

Ron A., earlier in the year you indicated this errant behavior was not
a big deal.  I do not remember anyone else supporting your position,
but maybe there were.  And maybe deleting the bad tick, instead of
correcting it, works some times in some circumstances, or even always.
However, when I had the long series of discussions with Bill Cruz
early this year, he never denied there was a problem.  He even talked
about alternatives to fix it in numerous phone discussions and email
messages before finally deciding to put it off until TS 5.  Thus I
am quite sure it is a real problem in version 4.

I don't think anyone would mind deleting one initial tick if that
was all it took - even MRK today when the initial trade was for
10000 shares.

Rod