Re: Substantial Time Lag Today with BMI Satellite

I can't speak for the S&P market specifically, but in general terms over
most futures markets.

At times of heavy market volatility (which includes most closes) the
trades are happening so fast that there is simply no way to input them
into the system fast enough. The delay you see is simply the reporters
catching up with what happened, even the boards on the floor are
delayed. I'm not familiar with LOS, but when I am talking to the floor
and this is happening, they will tell you that the boards are delayed.

There is not a input system in the world that can keep up with a couple
hundred human brains, which is what makes open outcry the most liquid
form of trading.

Kevin

> richard wrote:
>
> >I conclude that at the close of trading today, the S&P futures data that
> >I received by BMI satellite lagged the market by over 75 seconds.
>
> And over two minutes yesterday at the close vs LOS...early in the day, the
> delay was the "normal" 1 sec vs LOS.  I've seen this erratic behavior with
> BMI many times over the past year.  Hell, I was still getting the 3:15
> ticks while LOS was posting the settlement!  Is this a BMI or Bridge
> specific problem?  Seems REAL fishy that it occurs near the close.

Unless you are on the phone to the floor on the close, it really does
not matter anyway as there is no way to trade it.