Here we go again?

Second PanAmSat satellite impaired...7/6/98

      THE GALAXY VII lost its primary system used to keep the
 satellite pointed toward Earth-based controllers, but a back-up system
 was working properly, the company said. PanAmSat and the manufacturer
 of both satellites, Hughes Electronics Corp.'s Space and
 Communications Co., said the failures were under investigation. Galaxy
 VII is used primarily by television broadcasters in the United States
 and the Caribbean.

      A spokesman for Greenwich, Conn.-based PanAmSat said the company
 was unable to determine yet if the two failures were related.  "We're
 talking about events that we're analyzing to see if there is any
 relationship and what the cause of the problems have been," said
 spokesman Dan Marcus. "It's hard for me to connect them because I
 don't know if there is a connection."

      On May 19, the Galaxy IV satellite lost both its primary and
 back-up systems for keeping the craft pointed at its controllers.
 Failure of the satellite brought havoc to pager services for a week
 and severed links used by television and radio broadcasters.(Reuters)