Printing info on last bar

I am trying to print out a formatted message when certain criteria are
satisfied as of yesterday's price action (EOD only).  These criteria
will generally be met several times on a given chart's history, but I
want the output to be printed to the print log/file only if it was met
yesterday.  I also want to be able to have this work properly when the
charts are processed through the chart scanner.

Perhaps if I were a bit more specific it would help.  Running the chart
scanner on a lot of stocks often gives a ton of output most of which I
don't need in a format I can't use.  I would like to print out a single
line of output from a print statement in the system (etc.) being
scanned, but only if the signal (or whatever) took place on the last
bar.  (Again I am using EOD data only.)  I have set up my workspace
which the scanner is using with alerts on and have a line in my code
which checks for that and then sets "alert = TRUE" but when I try to say
"if alert..." I get an error message to the effect that EL is expecting
a mathematical expression.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Dave