From: hans esser [mailto:he96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 1998 5:25 AM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: BIOS and CMOS experts PLEASE !!!

Somehow I managed to erase my BIOS/CMOS settings in my TS machine -
this might have been caused due to a electrical problem here or running low on
the battery which buffers the data when the PC is switched off. (Pentium 90, 32
megs, built 1995 and WfW 3.11).

Whatever it caused this it what happenend since......

I switched the pc on and it reported something like "NO HARDDISK" - huuuh ?
...ok after some phone calls to some "experts" I ran the AUTODETECT feature
and it found it again and buffered the findings - so far so good  (BTW I had 2
emergency boot disks - none of them helped......)

TS was up and running fine........I tried to exchange some data from that
machine to another using LAPLINK and a  wire which I have connected
permanently between the machine which is using LPT2 on the TS machine

- I have a SECOND LPT for that as I had problems with the BLOCK on LPT1
and printing at the same time - so I have ONLY the block on LPT1 and use
LAPLINK on LPT2

Trying to switch LAPLINK into gear failed - suspecting some strange problems I
ran "MSD" (MS Diagnostics) and got reported that I have only LPT1 (no LPT2
anymore).......ok went to that part of the BIOS/CMOS setup andt the section:

ONBOARD PARALELL PORT showed 278H (other options 3bch and 378h)
after changing to the latter - MSD reports 2 LPTS - so it looked fine but wasnt -
now it appeared that LPT1 and LPT2 have been switched around somehow...
so that cant be the settings I used before .....I did try other things and even put
the LAPLINK cable behind the block with the result that TS reported NO BLOCK
and I lost data.

Is anybody able to give some advice from my confused description ?

NOW I have

LPT1 0378H
LPT2 0278H (msd reports ONLINE: NO) ????

Is there anything I can take from a BACKUP I have ???? thanks for any help

rgds hans