RE: Smaller Goal Versus Bigger....

I haven't used it, but it seems like Performance Maximizer, developed by
Rina Systems and bought by Omega Research, would help your research here. It
can show you graphically where meaningful stops could be placed based on
your system. Part of this is accomplished by showing the MAE/MFE (max.
adverse excursion/max. favorable excursion).

I think Pierre on this list showed some EL code on how to plot MAE/MFE, too.

The time frame you are trading and the style of your system will, of course,
greatly affect the answer to your questions.

Ryan Jones, of Fixed Ratio money management fame, claims to have never lost
more than $400, and that was because of slippage. His stop is about 100
small points. My understanding is that he trades a very short time frame on
momentum and has a very close stop because of his time frame and system
style.

Neil