Re: 2 Computer Network

Message text written by INTERNET:omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Allan:

If you connected two computers in this style, can you also add a printer
hooked
up in some fashion that both machines can print to? And what would you add
make the printer work?

Tim Morge
<

The direct cable connect offers all the same features as a LAN connect.

You can share printers, transfer files, etc.

The advantages are it is simple.  It requires no additional IRQ's.  WHen I
went to LAN cards, I had to give up my sound card because I had no IRQ's
left.

Downside - it is not nearly as fast.  If you are doing a lot of big file
transfers, you will sure notice it.
Also, you can have only 2 computers.  I went to the LAN primarily because I
needed to network 3 computers.  Once I got past the initial problems, I am
very happy with it.

I use thin coax without a hub and it works fine.

Regards,
Paul