Re: Creating DLL's

I agree with Earl.....VB is terrific, and now that you can combine
it's power with Excel through VBA, and MOST quote services support
drag & drop DDE links to Excel.....well, you get the idea I think.

THe only reason I still write DLL's in C is because I've never written
one in VB. FOr awhile, I had the notion (which may be true, may still
be true, or I may be mistaken altogether) that C is a lot faster than
VB. I'm not sure of this, but I would write apps in VB because you can
write them in 1/5 th the time it takes to write it in C, then, for
"muscle" intensive routines, write them as a C DLL called by the vb
app.......this may still be the way to go, I'm not sure. -Ralph

---Earl Adamy <eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been doing VB for years and don't buy much in the way of books
so can't
> make much in the way of recommendations. I've developed
professionally in
> perhaps a dozen plus languages over my prior career as a software
developer and
> VB is as good as it gets in balancing power and productivity. I used
to do a bit
> of C and C++ when I needed super performance but don't bother
anymore because VB
> is close in performance and it's a lot faster to write. DLL's are
now referred
> to as OLE client and OLE server objects. You won't go wrong learning
VB if you
> get a book which takes you step by step through creating basic
objects whether
> as programs, clients, or servers - it's probably the best way to
learn both
> programming and VB. Of course you may find that the effort of
learning and
> writing real programs will greatly diminish your time for trading.
>
> Earl

Also