Re: Standardizing a Volatility Filter?

Hey BJ

1/ Try with something simple (maybe elegant?) first as yur definition of
volatility eg range or true range.
2/ I would suggest a slightly different and SIMPLER yet standardized
approach . . .
- choose  a period depending on yur time frame  eg 50 days cf 100 days
- calc the average and stddev
- add/subtract some percentage of the stddev from the average to get
your bands, and hence areas of hi or lo vol.
something like this . . .

Inputs: Period(50), Factor(2);	{eg use a 50 period moving window and 2
std dev from mean}
Vars: AverageVol(0), DispersionVol(0), LoVol(0), HiVol(0);

AverageVol = AvgTrueRange(Period);
DispersionVol = Factor * StdDev(TrueRange,Period);
LoVol = AverageVol - DispersionVol;
HiVol = AverageVol + DispersionVol;

Condition1 = TrueRange > LoVol and TrueRange < HiVol;
etc . . .

- try playing with Period and Factor
- off the top of my head (educated guess) you may want to use different
Factors when calcu;ating hi and lo vol, as price changes (volatility?)
are not normally distributed, as defined above you'll get more
occurrences of hi vol than lo vol.  So amend the code  and use say a
factor of 2 for hi vol and 1 for lo vol if ya want. . .

NB no hard and fast rules here as we are dealing with a moving target
(non stationary distribution) - that's what makes this game so damn
interesting . . .

Good luck

E. Peter K. Chan
Independent Private Trader