Standardizing a Volatility Filter?

I'm trying to add a volatility filter to a system I'm writing, but have come
across two problems:

1) Which formula to use to figure out volatility, specifically in futures
markets, and whether such a filter is appropriate to use in futures markets
(any ideas?)

2) How to keep the system from producing a signal if volatility is within,
say, one standard deviation of the maximum and minimum historical values for
volatility in a given market.  This problem would be a bit easier to solve
if volatility had equal ranges in different markets, but I have found that
it varies significantly.

So, as far as I can tell, it looks like I need a formula that will

a. Determine volatility in a given market;
b. Determine the high and low values for volatility in that market;
c. Determine standard deviations based on the volatility range;
d. Add one standard deviation to the low value and subtract one standard
deviation from the high value;
e. Output this result into the following filter formula:

Condition1 = Volatility(10) > {insert (low volatility+one standard
deviation) here}
AND Volatility(10) < {insert (high volatility-one standard deviation) here};
IF Condition1 THEN Begin;

In short, what I'd like to do is come up with a formula that will allow me
to standardize this filter.  Any takers?  Thanks!

BJ