Re: T/Port Card

On 05/04/98 14:23:34 you wrote:

>In a message dated 98-05-04 14:00:18 EDT, tmorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> There's a better product...go to wwww.turbocom.com
>>
>>  It uses a UART 16750 chip and has great software as well.
>>
>>  All of computers are configured with these cards.
>>

>Tim
>
>        You and I talked about this before.  I had several lengthy
>communications with those folks, and the were indeed very helpful,  BUT....
>All the did in several E-Mails, was talk about the speed and thru put of
their
>boards, and that isn't the issue.  The issue is what happens if the CPU is
>tied up say for 30 seconds, and can't accept the data from the board.  What
>happens to it.  TLink guarantee's the data isn't lost.  The turbocom folks
>would never address that issue.  I don't need speed faster than 38k, as
thats
>the speed the data is coming in, what I need and I think what was being
asked
>about is storing the data.   The T-Port board had larger storage, than even
>the 16750 chip, but they had plug and play problems, and so went to a
software
>solution, that works.   I actually stopped data collection with the cpu for
1
>minute, and lost 0 ticks of data.  I asked Turbocom what their board would
do
>with this test, and never got an answer
>
>               Pete

I have two of the old T-Port boards, which I have had for three years. You
are correct in describing the plug and play problems, however they are fine
in data collection. I have also spoken to Frank (of TLink) at length in
correcting whatever problems you may have. It is expensive because he is in
Bermuda, but he does help.Since my existing boards worked fine I havent'
upgraded to the software solution. I will wait till one of them fails...

             Terrence