Re: Support for older TS vers (was: New Tradestation 5.0!)

Ron Augustine <RonAug@xxxxxxxx> asks:
>It's none of my business, but I'm curious-- why would anyone be
>reluctant to upgrade to ver. 4.0 or higher?

Like Pete, I'm reluctant to "upgrade" something that works satisfactorily,
and would require (in my case) a larger DOS partition on my disk.
I work comfortably within 100M now, with TS being my one and only MS
application.  I don't do the sort of system backtesting that annoys
Bob Brickey - TS is basically a graphic display engine for me, and
the most annoying problem it has for me is lack of function of tool
cursors when the chart background is set to grey.  This problem is
not fixed in TS 4.0.  Another shortcoming of 4.0 is the gratuitous
blank line in quote windows, making them take up more screen room
than necessary.

The show stopper for me though, is the closed data format of TS 4.0.
When the S+P contract rolls over to the new contract, I transfer
the last month or so of tick data of the old contract to the new
contract, so that my "hourly" charts (500-tick bars) of the SP
have some history to work with on Thursday morning.  Without this
data, those charts are useless for a couple of weeks.

TS 3.5, with its simple file format for copy-out/paste-in, lets
me easily insert data into the live tick database.  With 4.0,
the only way I can think of to do this would be to muck about
in the huge 40bonn.dat file directly, and I'm reluctant to do
that if I can possibly avoid it.

Pierre, and others, have mentioned a "server API" that lets one
get at the server database.  My understanding is that this only
lets one get data out of the server, not stick it back in.
Can someone confirm whether or not this is the case?

Jim