Programmer Pay

Jay Mackro wrote:

> I suspect that VB is so simple that hiring companies can
> readily find people (and pay them dirt).  C++ is sufficiently
> obtuse (someone advised me to budget a year to learn it
> thoroughly - probably true), that jobs are more likely to pay
> enough to support my trading habit.

A recent survey published in the March 1998 issue of "Visual Basic
Programmer's Journal" found the following:

                Average   Average Extra
  Language      Salary    Bonuses, etc.
  --------      --------  -------------
  Visual Basic  $62,300   $ 7,800
  SQL            64,700    11,000
  HTML           66,400     8,400
  C++            71,700     9,200
  Cobol          63,200    13,000
  Java           81,200    12,900

Hourly wages for Visual Basic programmers ranged from $30 to more than $250,
with the most common being $74 per hour.

  -Bob Brickey
   Scientific Approaches
   sci@xxxxxxxxxx