Re: TS "openness"

mgj@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sometimes I'm given an OMZ file by a client in order to debug their
> such-n-such indicator/system.  However, I'm not able to extract the desired
> data without knowing a priori the symbol contained therein.  It would cetainly
> make life easier if TS5 provided a dialog box that details everything in an OMZ
> file.  Tech support said they could see its utility and would consider adding
> it to TS5.
>
> - Mark Jurik

Mark:

You know, data is near and dear to my heart. Not because I am system trader, but
because I do chart by hand and so I have some fondness for the accuracy of the data
I use when I chart. I absolutely cannot understand why it would matter to Omega or
any other vendor if the data format that is used to store numbers in their platform
is known to users. It's data. There's nothing proprietary[in a good sense] about
how Omega stores their data. I could understand if they had a super-secret
compression whatsit that stroes data in 1/8 the space. But even then, I don't know
that that would out-weigh the good will open data format would give them and any
vendor. Data is there to be charted and manipulated and massaged and fondled [don't
get me started!!]. I say, free all data formats!

Tim Morge