Software License Transfers

The software license agreement printed in the TradeStation 4 user manual
contains:

"Grant of License.  Omega grants to you the non-exclusive license to use one
copy of the enclosed software program (the "Software") and data (the "Data")
on a single terminal connected to a single computer.  This Agreement and the
license granted may not be transferred, assigned, leased, rented,
sublicensed, or otherwise transferred by you."

If you have a second screen or keyboard on your computer are you in
violation of the license agreement?  It seems from that language that you
would be.

John O. Romero wrote:

> Most other software companies DO ALLOW the license to
> be transferred from one person or machine to another, so
> long as it is only used on one machine at a time.  Some
> companies charge a small administrative transfer fee, but
> again, most do it for free.  Examples - AutoCad and OptionVue.

John is right.  It is very unusual for a software supplier to not allow the
transfer of software licenses.  Transfers usually are free of any charge,
except where a new user of complex software is apt to need extra help, or
where a hardware security block must be reprogrammed.

Scientific Approaches always has allowed the transfer of its software
licenses.  Our policy is explained in a Frequently Asked Question page at
our web site:

  http://sciapp.com/faq.html

  -Bob Brickey
   Scientific Approaches