Re: Beta software

Earl Adamy wrote:

> It never ceases to amaze me that ordinary users (not talking about software
> product developers who must deal with compatibility issues) will invest their
> time, and risk stable computer systems, to install beta software for a vendor
> which doesn't even provide a no-charge upgrade to the finished version...

I agree Earl.  The last beta-testing I did was for Reuters (a long time ago).  The
beta was buggy - and kept crashing my system.  Although advertised to run on a
machine with 4 megs of ram - it took my 4 meg machine over 5 minutes to load the
program.

> I amended the beta agreement to require a free upgrade and then, after investing
> many hours in beta testing, ended up fighting to collect my upgrade. I beta test
> no more!

I had the same deal with Reuters.  So it sent us beta testers a free version of the
program - but demanded we pay full freight for the data stream (the program was
pretty useless without the data stream).  The moral is - make sure you have a
lawyer review the documents if you agree to beta test <g>.  Robyn