Inputs to systems with series functions

I've had very recent experience with not being able to change the inputs (e.g.
Close of Data6) in a system which uses passes the inputs to series functions.
While adding the system, I can edit the inputs to something else (e.g. Close of
Data11) however the system tells me I'm missing Close of Data6 and won't run.
This has not proven true with inputs to indicators which pass the inputs to
series function calls.

I've also run into problems compiling systems which pass inputs to series
functions where the system won't compile unless the series inputs can be
resolved at compile time. I'm still trying to figure out some of this stuff, but
it appears that the default inputs become hard coded into the system object
code. The whole thing gets to be problematic where the same data series is
passed to multiple series functions in a system:

1) run out of inputs when attempting to declare many data series as system
inputs.

2) scattering the data series names around the system and its supporting
functions gets very messy for maintenance

3) not allowed to declare variables in a system and set them equal to a data
series (e.g. NyClose = Close of Data3) when the data series is being passed to a
series function e.g. f_one(NyClose).

The best way of handling the problem I've come up with is to declare the data
series as arguments of the call to the series function e.g. f_one(Close of
Data3, Close of Data11), f_two(Close of Data2, Close of Data3, Close of Data7).
This at least keeps all of the series names within the system module, however
the data series assignments are hard-coded into the system.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues or suggest a better way of handling
the problem?

Earl