Re: Uncle Bob Responds

Michael Paauwe wrote:

> Hi Robyn, about your last post,
> It seems doubtful that, at $249, your SC 2.1 qualifies as 'expensive software'.

Norton AntiVirus cost less - and users of pre-1997 versions have just filed a class
action suit against Symantec because they're not Y2K compliant.

> Since you "make your living with it", and it's had an amortized cost to date
> of only $50 PER YEAR, why not just 'splurge' a little and upgrade to 4.0 for
> a couple of hundred bucks and solve that big problem you have...

If SuperCharts 4.0 would do the trick - that's exactly what I'd do.  But SC 4.0
doesn't have the EL programming capability I need to run my systems.  If I upgrade -
I'd have to upgrade to TradeStation to get the same functionality I have now.  Note
that I spent about 3 years developing the systems I use to handle both my
investments and my trading.  And the systems work reasonably well.  I'm not ready to
throw them in the trash.

I'd spend the money to upgrade to TradeStation if it seemed like a decent Y2K
compliant product.  But - I'm not going to spend a lot of money *now* for a non-Y2K
compliant product (and that's what TradeStation is) - cross my fingers - and hope
for the promised Y2K patch.  Moreover - after reading all the messages about
passwords, dongles, etc. - I don't think TradeStation is the kind of software I want
to own (if I spend a few thousand dollars - I don't want any software company to
have any control over my personal use of the product).  But I'll have to think about
that issue if and when Omega releases a Y2K compliant version of TradeStation.  So
far - that version is still vaporware.

FWIW - I'm not the only SC 2.1 user in this position.  Robyn