Clarification re $20 Prize for Custom Show-Me

  • To: Jim Osborn <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Clarification re $20 Prize for Custom Show-Me
  • From: Richard Josslin <oldfogey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 16:02:36 -0800 (PST)

At 02:03 PM 2/21/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Sorry, Richard, I need a small clarification.
>
>>2.  Second, once a Low Pivot has been identified, identifies (by a dot on
>>the high of the bar) its "Second Higher High": the nearest bar to the left
>>of the Low Pivot whose High is higher than the "First Higher High": the
>>nearest bar to the left of the Low Pivot whose High is higher than the High
>>of the Low Pivot.
>
>By "High of the Low Pivot" do you mean the High of the bar that contained
>the low pivot, identified in (1)?

YES

>>Example of Second Higher High:
>>
>>  Given a Low Pivot having a High = 10 and bars to its left having the
>>following Highs in sequence: 8,14,13,13,12,15
>>
>>  The First Higher High = 14 (first bar to the left having High > 10)
>>
>>  The Second Higher High = 15 (first bar to the left of First Higher
>>High having High > 14).
>
>Do you mean here that the sequence listed above is marching off to
>the left, as read left-to-right?  In other words the bar with H=8 is
>immediately to the left of the pivot bar, with its H=10; then to the
>left of H=8 is H=14, then H=13, etc.?

YES

In other words, the Highs of the bars in forward sequence is
15,12,13,13,14,8, followed by the High of the Low Pivot=10 (the Low of the
Low Pivot is immaterial; it must, however, be lower than 8, the High of the
previous bar, else the Low Pivot would not be a Low Pivot).  The closest
Higher High to the left of the Low Pivot is 14 (the First Higher High), and
the next closest Higher High to the left of that bar is 15 (the Second
Higher High).

>Thanks for sharing an interesting pattern.  I'll send you what I come
>up with.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jim

Dear Jim & Group,

Thank you for your interest and request for clarification.

My underlying reason for offering this reward is to learn how to easily and
elegantly program so as to count backwards, that is, to the left, of a
chosen bar and to keep analysing while counting backwards.  I can program
counting forwards, that is, to the right, of a chosen bar, using a Counter
program, but I have yet to learn how to do that backwards and do it
elegantly, that is, without a number of iterations.  My clumsy way of doing
it is to count backwards one bar and then start counting forwards to
analyse; followed by counting back two bars and then start counting forwards
to analyse; followed by counting back three bars and then start counting
forwards to analyse; ... for as many bars as I want to count back.  What I'm
really after is to learn how to count backwards and keep on going directly
back for as many bars as I want to analyse without all the reiterations of
counting forwards.  For example, the program described above would not be
too ungainly programming it my clumsy way, as I have specified only the
Second Higher High.  What I'd like is a simple program for, say, the
Fifteenth Higher High - such programmed in my clumsy way would be most
ungainly indeed! Is my goal possible in Easy Language, or is Easy Language
incapable of it?

Sincerely,

Richard