The Date Issue

Robyn wrote:

> OK - I'm a little confused again (not unusual since I'm
> far from a math whiz ).  You say that TradeStation can't
> read files with Julian dates.  My understanding of Omega
> software is that it works on a Julian calendar.  Is this
> incorrect?

The Omega Server and Omega Server Gateway use pseudo Julian dates we refer
to here as "Omega Julian" dates that are in error with respect to true
Astronomical Julian dates by 2,415,019 days.  That would cause dates to be
in error by more than 6,612 years, except reciprocal errors are made in
conversion from Gregorian to Julian and back from Julian to Gregorian, so no
net error results.

> If it's correct - how does a program that works on a Julian
> calendar use data files that don't have Julian dates.

Omega's software converts incoming Gregorian dates from real-time data feeds
or historic ASCII price files to "Omega Julian" dates for internal program
use.  It converts the internal "Omega Julian" dates back to Gregorian dates
whenever dates are displayed to users.  No provision has been made to use
incoming data that has true Astronomical Julian dates, "Omega Julian" dates,
or four-digit year Gregorian dates.  Those capabilities would be simple to
provide.  Omega simply hasn't provided them.  Omega's software assumes all
incoming dates are two-digit year Gregorian dates.  It attempts to convert
them to "Omega Julian" dates whether they actually are two-digit year
Gregorian dates or not.

> Also - when I tested my SuperCharts - and I tried to use
> dates like 1/1/00 - the program didn't die.  It simply read
> the data in a very strange fashion - like 1/1/00 became
> 6/17/107.  Do you have any idea what this means?

Yes.  A simple change needs to be made to the code so that doesn't happen.

> Note that I used to have a program - a very old version of
> Managing Your Money - where you had to input the year 2000
> as 1/1/100 - but - at some point the program switched to
> full 4 digit year format.  Wonder if this old version of MYM
> had anything in common with SuperCharts.

I don't know anything about MYM, but from what you say, I don't think there
is much in common with TradeStation or SuperCharts year 2000 issues.

> Finally - some people here have said that you're capable of
> writing a Y2K patch program for these programs.  Are you?

Yes, although different patches would be required for each version of each
program.

> If so - do you have any interest in doing it?  Robyn

Maybe.  Others have asked the same question.  We are discussing some
considerations.  I will post an answer later today.

  -Bob Brickey
   Scientific Approaches
   sci@xxxxxxxxxx