Re: Tick differences

> I am trading live with a trader in a different state and we keep an open
> line during trading hours.  He has BMI cable and I have BMI satellite
> and from time to time either he will miss a tick or I will get an extra
> tick.  We trade using tickbar charts and with even just one tick being
> different, it will change the bars for the rest of the day.

No disrespect intended, but I would suggest that your trading system is
rather suspect if a single tick throws the bars off for the entire next
day.

As a local pit trader myself, I can tell you there are two obvious
shortcomings. 1) The ticks are not always reported in a timely fashion,
and there are often insertions and deletions. 2) You have no idea what
the volume was at any tick. I often see ticks that look real pretty on
the chart but was only a one lot trade. Conversely, a 500 lot can trade
on a single tick and you have no idea which is which.

A third shortcoming of a tick sensitive system is thus: It is my
understanding that the CME and CBOT do not report consecutive ticks at
the same price. In other words, the SPH can trade 1033.00 six times in a
row and they only transmit a single tick. They have a looser audit trail
on those exchanges and it is simply not neccessary to transmit those
ticks.

I think most of the non-Chicago exchanges report each trade.

I may be wrong on some of this, but the bottom line is: If your system
is that sensitive you should at least investigate this yourself and give
some thought to your system validity.

Kevin