Re: Y2K Blackmail?

On Feb 18,  4:46am, Orphelin@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Yes...
> Until Year 2000 if...
> If Omega wants to stop SafeSoft piracy, they could be wise to release the TS4
> Y2000 patch with an extra protection to the users that do not want to upgrade
> to TS5.
> Doing so, all the illegal TS4 and below copies will die at the end of the
> century.

Independent of the merits/demerits of dongles and Safekey's, I
think there ought to be a law against a company that takes advantage
of a Year 2000 bug, and uses it as a method for ensuring that its
customers upgrade to the new Y2K-compliant version.

Just curious, has anyone tried advancing the date (is this even
possible with a realtime data feed?) past 2000, to see what TS4 and TS3
do with that?  For example, one could build an ASCII file of historical
data for '97 and '98, and change '97 -> '99 and '98 -> '00 and see
what happens.  Mark, have you tried this?

While we're on the subject, do the various historical and realtime
datafeed providers have implicit Y2K compliant problems as well?

--