Compacting database

I use TS 3.5.

My server .DAT file is eating all my disk space, so I tried to do something about it.

I copied out several megs of expired contracts, and archived them elsewhere.
Then I went into the portfolio and deleted all those symbols, together with the data.
When I looked at the size of my .DAT file, I found it be exactly the same as before making all those deletions.
So, I tried running every cleanup utility I could find, and ran a Morning Update, and even deleted the .IDX file
and allowed the server to rebuild it from scratch - nothing has reduced the size of my .DAT file by even one
byte!

Since I have removed about 10 megs of data from this file, I really want to get my disk space back - I need it!
Can anyone help me to accomplish this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bob Young