Re: Processor Usage

  • To: Carroll Slemaker <cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Processor Usage
  • From: "J. Rodney Grisham" <grisham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:08:19 -0800 (PST)

Carroll Slemaker wrote:

> The only assertion I would disagree with is that this 100% CPU
> utilization by the Server is a recent problem - it isn't.

Depends on your definition of recent, I suppose.  As I recall,
and I could be wrong about this, when this subject was last
debated extensively, some old timers pointed out that the server
had not always had this behavior.

> I noticed
> this when I first switched to Windows NT, maybe two years or so ago, and
> complained to Omega at that time.  It obviously relates to the form of
> IPC (inter-process communication) being used between the 16-bit Server
> and the charting module.  It might be inherent in DDE (Dynamic Data
> Exchange, an obsolete protocol which Omega is using), or it may be just
> in how they've implemented their DDE interface.

It has only to do with the server itself.  The server will take
100% of your CPU, no matter how powerful, without any other
applications running, TS or otherwise.

> I have been told that
> the 32-bit Server will not have this problem.

All other problems will be fixed too, by the end of Q2 1998.  :-)

Rod
--

J. Rodney Grisham, Ph.D.         ____  __   __
Technix Systems, Inc.             /   /_   /    /__/  /\ /  / \/