Re: Conflicts

Edandrea wrote:

> I have a problem with connecting the BMI cable box to my computer that
> both BMI and Omega refuse to help with. It seems that computers have
> only "x" numbers of IRQ's for the small amount of Com ports. I get the
> impression that you cannot have a mouse, modem, and cable box hooked up
> at the same time.

In general, not true.  But I have read recently of complaints
because some PC are now being delivered with no free IRQ's.

> The BMI guy said the cable box refuses to share a
> com/irq, and one "generous" hint that an Omega techie gave me was that I
> shoud get a Ps/2 mouse and that would free up an IRQ, seeing as how my
> current mouse is the "serial" type. I am running a windows 95 system.

Not a very satisfying answer, since if your PC has a PS/2 mouse
connector, you'd probably already be using it, rather than a serial
mouse.

> am totally shellshocked that I have spent literally all day just to get
> BMI into my computer (which I did fine when I disabled the Modem) and
> the three (Mouse, Modem, Cable Box) will not operate together. I had
> hoped to use the winbeep software, but if the cable box is running the
> computer refuses to open the modem. It says it's already being used.
> Anyone else have these problems?

You need a utility to analyze your system and tell you what
I/O addresses and IRQ's are in use.  If there is a free
IRQ you can use it.  Just as an example, I have the
following serial port configuration, in addition to a PS/2
mouse:

port   I/O port    IRQ
com1    3f8         4
com2    2f8         3
com3    3e8         9

I have BMI on com2, an external modem on com3, and another
serial device on com1.

Rod
--

J. Rodney Grisham, Ph.D.         ____  __   __
Technix Systems, Inc.             /   /_   /    /__/  /\ /  / \/