Security Solution?

I want to say at the outset that I think that software vendors have a legitimate
interest in protecting the products they sell from authorized distribution.  And
that users have a legitimate interest in being able to use a product in a
reasonable way.

That said - I was thinking about approaches that might accomplish that goal.  My
understanding is that TradeStation can only be used with a few data vendors
(unlike my version of SuperCharts - which can read just about everything -
including - I suspect - the Talmud <g>).  If that's the case - why can't the
program be shipped with a "key" that would only allow it to be used with a
specific account from a specific data vendor?

Some people might not think twice about making unauthorized copies of programs -
but I doubt there are many who'd share their data account information (for which
they pay monthly) with anyone.  Moreover - people don't change data vendors that
often - so - if changes have to be made in the "key" - they'd be few and far
between.

I am - more or less - a computer dummy.  So - if anyone out there can tell me
why this idea can't fly - I'd be interested in knowing why.  Robyn

P.S.  This "key" would be like the key in my version of SuperCharts.  Although I
can read DialData data from any source - I can only use the DataManager in
SuperCharts if I have a specific DialData account with an Omega Research prefix.