Security idea

In terms of copyright protection, this idea is so simple that I'm sure Omega
has already considered it, but since no one has mentioned it yet I'll put it
up for discussion.  Why not just require the user to have the original TS CD
in the CD drive whenever the charting/analysis feature is opened, and to
have it in the drive for verification every 12 hours?

As Paul Weston pointed out, it's the charting/testing features of TS that
are valuable, the downloader/server are essentially useless by themselves.
This security approach would allow the laptop users to use TS without a
dongle, but still collect data with their desktop machines while they're on
the road.

For most of us, leaving the CD in the drive would be no big deal, so we
wouldn't even know the program was looking for it every 12 hours.  But some
users will want to use a historical data CD with the charting feature, so a
12 hour window is needed.  Obviously, the CD check would be delayed if a
chartscan is running, but the user wouldn't be able to do anything
afterwards until the TS CD is re-verified.  If you're a big time historical
CD user and the thought of switching CDs really bothers you, install a
second 8X CD Rom for $29.

I don't use TS in a laptop so I can't speak from experience, but I
personally wouldn't want to be out of town without my CD drive and TS CD
anyway, so I wouldn't see it as an extra inconvenience.  That's because of
all the glitches I've had with TS over the years, over half of them have
been solved by simply re-installing the program.

I know some users are currently running TS on two or more machines with one
dongle via a special link.  For you, I leave it to the hardware "experts" to
find a creative workaround!

Bruce