Re: Omega lock for TS5

Phil (& Omega)

My feelings exactly.  I WILL NOT BUY any software that has this type of
protection.  Many other large software companies who have tried this type
of protection have given up on it due to the huge amount of problems
incurred by their customers and of course the time it takes the company to
sort things out.  They found out it was not cost effective AND hurt sales!.
Regards,
Don.

----------
> From: Phil <rhodes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Omega lock for TS5
> Date: Thursday, January 29, 1998 12:10 AM
>
>    I hope Omega does not do that with their software.  I know someone who
> bought some software like that, and it would run on only one computer and
> guess what, he had computer trouble, upgraded and bought a new faster
> computer and his software would not run without a new password!  So he
tried
> to get in touch with the spftware company and guess what?  They are out
of
> bussiness and he can't use his software any more!  I would think long and
> hard before I bought software that used the users computer to generate a
> password so it wpould work on only one computer!  I know people who
upgrade
> computer every year or two and software like that would be useless to
them!
> Does anyone know if there is a way to use software like this if say a
> company has gone out of bussiness?  How can one some how generate a
password
> own his own?  Any ideas?  Omega I hate the Doggle, but it is better that
> what I described above, so don't do it!!
>
> At 10:58 AM 1/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >I've had software (Elliott Wave Analyzer) which is locked to the drive.
> >needed a new password when a) disk drive crashed and I swapped in a new
> >drive, b) when I changed file system from FAT to NTFS, and c) when I
> >repartitioned drive. I provided the developer with some code used in his
> >system so we had a relationship of some trust. In each case, the
software
> >would (at my request) gather the new drive config info and email it to
the
> >developer who provided a new password during regular business hours. I
> >suspect that an organization which is more hard-nosed about security
would
> >be more difficult to deal with. Also, I have to wonder if the new
Diskkeeper