Fw: Before you purchase a Dell PC

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<OL>
    <LI><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Interesting...I also had a sound card
    problem, but on my new Dell 300. Dell sent a new card overnight to the
    local&nbsp; technical service company, who replaced it and no problems
    since.&nbsp; Seems to me the problem is with components and the real test is
    how Dell, or any other company, resolves the problem.</FONT></LI></OL>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
</B>greene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx &lt;<A
href="mailto:greene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>greene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
</B>Barry Robbins &lt;<A
href="mailto:brobbins@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>brobbins@xxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Cc:
</B>omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx &lt;<A
href="mailto:omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx";>omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
</B>Wednesday, January 28, 1998 11:37 AM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: Before you
purchase a Dell PC<BR><BR></DIV></FONT><PRE>Barry Robbins wrote:</PRE>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE = CITE>&lt;&lt;Just thought you might like to hear about my
    experience with Dell...&gt;&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE>FWIW - I've spent the last 3 days
buying and setting up a new computer system for my husband (his 486 was ready
for the trash can).&nbsp; On Monday - I bought a Compaq 4540 (the new $999
model).&nbsp; The left speaker went &quot;snap, crackle and pop&quot; all the
time.&nbsp; I figured it was a bad unit - so I took it back on Tuesday morning -
and exchanged it for a new one.&nbsp; The second unit had the same
problem.&nbsp; So I called Compaq technical support - which informed me that the
problem was a defect in the soundcard (in this model and many other Compaq
models) - and it was &quot;working on a fix&quot;).&nbsp; I don't know about you
- but when I buy a new computer - I expect it to work ok when I take it out of
the box.&nbsp; I don't feel like waiting around for a &quot;sound card
fix&quot;.&nbsp; So I exchanged the Compaq Tuesday afternoon for a HP (same kind
of machine - about $100 more). So far so good (except for the 2 days I wasted on
the defective machines - maybe I'll be back to normal in a day or two).&nbsp; So
I guess the moral of the story is that Dell isn't the only problem company
around.
<P>BTW - the one company that I really liked in all of this was Office Depot
(where I bought the computers).&nbsp; It was absolutely terrific in terms of
handling the returns - no questions asked.&nbsp; Robyn </P></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Wed Jan 28 12:03:52 1998