Re: Before you purchase a Dell PC

Ted Reback wrote:

> Are you kidding? If I open the box and insert a SCSI tape drive or a sound card,
> I void the  warranty on the entire computer?

This is something you want to be clear on before you buy.  Some places only allow
their appointed representatives to touch the machine.   The problem you can run into
is when you have to send the thing thousands of miles to the factory for service.
Not every company is like this, however.  I've actually had a company wanting ME to
take apart and attempt to service my server, and I've never even seen the inside of
a computer at that point.  Fortunately, after a few minutes of frustration, (What
the hell's this?  What's this - chewing gum?  Which wire did he say?) I had the good
sense to take it to a professional.  In another experience, I had to replace a
keyboard on a notebook - a local techie wouldn't touch it, because he was worried
about possibly violating the warranty.  I called the company (a different one), and
they told me to do it myself (good Lord, I thought), but it turned out to be pretty
simple.  Places that don't at least allow qualified maintenance people to touch it,
though, should be avoided.

Regards,
A.J.