[Metastockusers] Re: How made a File .sym

1. Open a new ASCII file in a text editor (e.g. WordPad, Notepad).

2. Type the list of securities to add to the Symbol Database using
the following format:

<Security name>, <symbol>, <exchange>

Example:

Microsoft, MSFT, NASD

Apple Computer, AAPL, NASD

Oracle, ORCL, NASD

Iomega, IOM, NYSE

There should be no spaces before or after commas.  Each individual
security must be entered on a separate line in the text editor. The
<exchange> and <security name> entries are completely optional.

You may also create an ASCII file using the following format:

<Symbol>

Example:

MSFT

AAPL

ORCL

IOM

In the example above, the ASCII file contains only one field per line
(i.e., the symbol).

Since the <security name> is not provided, The DownLoader will
attempt to provide a

<Security name> from the existing Symbol Database.  For example,
since the Symbol

Database in The DownLoader associates the symbol "MSFT" to the
security name "Microsoft,"

the name "Microsoft" will automatically be used in the <security
name> field.  However, if

The DownLoader does not find a match for the <symbol> in the existing
list, the symbol itself

will be used in place of the <security name>.

3. Save the ASCII file with the extension ".SYM"
(e.g. "COMPUTER.SYM").

Note that when you save the file in Notepad or WordPad, you should
choose "All Files" from the Files of type drop list.  If you do not,
a ".TXT" extension will be added after the file name
(e.g. "COMPUTER.SYM.TXT").  If this happens, rename the file in
Windows Explorer so the Symbol Database will correctly recognize the
file format.

4. Place the ASCII file in the same folder as The DownLoader program.

(E.G. "C:\Program Files\Equis\The DownLoader")

5. Open The DownLoader and display the Symbol Database.

6. The name of the newly created Symbol Database file will be
displayed in the

Type menu of the Symbol Database.

Trader Joe...

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "batesyonne" <batesyonne@xxxx>