Re: [Metastockusers] How to duplicate Exponential Moving Averagein Excel

 From the Quotes Plus Help file:

 >>>To calculate an EMA, you first calculate an exponent, based on the
number of periods (usually days) that you are using. The exponent is
calculated using the formula:

exponent = 2 / ( periods + 1 )

Then the formula for the EMA is:

( Close * exponent ) + ( ( Yesterday's EMA * ( 1 - exponent ) )

The EMA for the first day is the closing price for that day.

Example: For a 5 day EMA:

exponent = 2/(5+1) = .33

1 - exponent = .67

EMA = .33 * Close .67 * Previous EMA

By convention, a 5-day EMA isn't considered valid until at least 5 days
have been used to calculate it.

Number of days used to calculate the EMA

... the EMA is a cumulative indicator; that is, each day's value is
dependent on the value for the day before it. As a result, a "5-day EMA"
can actually reflect far more than five days worth of data. ...

Because this indicator is cumulative, the EMA for any given day can be
calculated differently depending on how many days of data you use. <<<<

You will wind up with a long expression with lots of parentheses.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/zMEolB/TM