RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: anyone know how to plot a trailing stop only while in a trade?

Hi
Preston,
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>
I remember following
that thread and I have just checked the archive.
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>
I believe the main
difference is that your barsback was designed to plot a LINE in response to
various inputs.
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>
What I am looking
for is a way to tell MetaStock to only plot a variable function when certain
conditions (not defined by the user, but defined by a custom indicator) are met,
and I can't see immediately how your LINE formula could help with that; it may
be that I can't see the wood for the trees!!
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>
I have had a bit of
a fiddle with it since posting the original request and have found that I can
mask the LOW (or HIGH for a short) plot on days when I am not in a trade by
overlaying an extra custom indicator that plots the low in WHITE (or whatever
background colour I use); only problem is it overlays on top of the price
candles (yes . . . I am one of people who happen to like candles); so I tried
CUTTING the base security our of the chart and then PASTING it back in; it works
- the candles come back in over the top of the custom indicators and the MASK
and it comes close to what I am looking for; I just end up with a few funny
tails at the transition between the start and end points of a trade.
Would still
like to find a way to do it in formula language tho'.
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>
Thanks for the heads
up on your earlier thread.
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>Regards,
<SPAN
class=147431120-26102003>Mike

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: pumrysh
  [mailto:no_reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, 27 October 2003
  6:59 AMTo: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: anyone know how to plot a trailing stop only while
  in a trade?Mike,Some time ago I wrote an
  indicator called barsback Z, it stopped and started as you suggested. I
  believe it could be modified to work as you
  requested.Preston--- In
  equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mfsloane" <mfsloane@xxxx>
  wrote:> I have an indicator that plots a trailing stop; it
  references other > indicators, so it knows when I am in a trade or
  out of trade; to > date I have been happy with an IF statement that
  effectively says:> IF("IN A TRADE", PLOT TRAILING STOP, otherwise PLOT
  LOW)> > I can drop this onto a chart and it doesn't stuff up the
  scaling > because the LOW plot is within range (if you have it plot
  "zero" > when not in a trade, the result is not pretty).>
  > I can colour it gray and ignore this line that hangs under the
  lows > (or above the highs for a short), but it does get in the way
  a > little bit and I would really prefer that it wasn't there.>
  > Does anyone know if it is possible to plot an indicator that
  "STOPS" > and "STARTS" without having to revert to either zero, or the
  low of > the day (or similar) when it is not required to be
  there?> > i.e. is there any way to code an indicator that will
  do:> IF("IN A TRADE", PLOT TRAILING STOP, otherwise do not plot
  anything).> > Any guidance will be gratefully
  received.> > Thanks,> MikeTo
  to:equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor