Re: [Metastockusers] Re: New metastock user - For all new users

If I may jump in here. I'm a little beyond being a novice user.

Much of what I learned has come from reading the answers to questions
here, and attempting to figure out the answer to others' questions
before the "real" answers were posted. I found it a little amusing that
I  posted correct answers within days of owning the software  by doing
something so audacious as reading the help file and quoting it. (Some
considered that cheating).

It pays to read thru the manual's function dictionary. Put a check mark
next to those that seem likely to be immediately useful. I put 2 checks
next to "ref" Finding out how to REFerence prior bars was a real chore.
It was so simple I was embarassed to ask. You can do a lot of heavy
lifting with relatively few functions.  (I haven't used the System
Tester. I've yet to use the Prev function or most of the others).

The best way to get a very useful answer is to ask a well specified
question. A well formulated question (accompanying gifs or  jpegs of
charts are ok) is likely to bring  a really helpful answer within 12 hours.
I work very hard to specify my question. I don't want to waste the time
of the experts here with a bunch of "No that's not what I meant..." Also
the time spent in formulating a good question frequently leads you to
its answer all by yourself. It also doesn't hurt to try too see if
something works by actually trying it.

There is a searchable archive (Don't have the link at hand) of this
forum. Not a bad idea to use it.

This (and EquisMetastock Group) is among the more friendly, supportive,
knowledgable lists you are going to be fortunate enough in which to
participate.

New York City has an active MS group that has monthly meeetings. Other
cities may well have them.

You want to see newbies flamed for not knowing what's in the manual?
 Check out the Perl group.

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!