[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: [MaxLocksperFile

Tom:

On 13 Oct 2003 08:31:59 -0000, you wrote:

>>Harry, I just went in and checked my current file size. It is 343MB.

>>I bet the size is also effected by the number of bars in the test.  My test has 1100
>>bars in it.

Thanks for the info on the file size. Clearly I am getting into
trouble at sizes much smaller than 343MB. Certainly the number of bars
has an effect. I have found that the indicators being tested do also.
For example, indicators like ADX and Directional Movement take much
more time to run a test (and create a larger file) than say
Stochastics and Williams %R.

>>I have also noticed that most times it takes a long time to open the System
>>Tester for me, the first time I open after starting Metastock.   Mine takes
>>longer than one minute.  I can usually go get a cup of coffee and come back
>>in the time it takes to open it.  Its a pain, but not as big as the discard
>>problem.  Until you commented about it I never associated it with the
>>maxlocksper file issue.  But certainly it was quick to open when I first
>>bought the upgrade so something has changed.

The time to open appears to be in direct relation to the size of
ST_Data.mdb. Once you successfully delete all of your System Tests,
this file should only be about 3 MB or so. Then it takes only a few
seconds for System Tester to open. But if I take a large ST_Data.mdb
file (one that takes me 1-2 minutes to open in Metastock) and open it
in Access, it opens very quickly. So I don't know what happens in MS
that does not in Access. Metastock support also told me that if you
don't have a good backup copy, you can just delete it, and Metastock
will regenerate it. But of course if you do this, you will loose any
test profiles that you added to those that Metastock has listed in
System Tester. I have learned to keep a fairly recent backup copy of
this file in another directory, for times when I can't get Discard to
function at all.

>>You might go check for an office update.  I was there not too long ago and I
>>think I remember a patch that effected the Jet engine or whatever that I
>>believe is used with the MaxLocks stuff.  Also I have my MaxLocks set at
>>500K I believe.

I'll check for a patch. I haven't even installed the SR1 upgrade for
Office. I usually stay away from upgrades unless it is absolutely
necessary. Because of bad experiences with other software, I work on
the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

>>The only other thing you could try is the repair procedure given by
>>Metastock. Did they give you that?  If not, let me know and I'll post it.

I have never heard about this repair procedure. What is it used for?
I'd appreciate any info that you have on it.

Harry

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511